Monday 17 June 2019

Lake Daniell


Lake Daniell

On Wednesday the 12th of June Room 1 and 8 went to Lake Daniell for a day tramp.
We went for a challenge in the William Pike challenge and to know about hypothermia. We travelled
in car groups to Lake Daniell. My car group was me, Mackenzie, Dakota and Brighid. The driver was
Phaedra Robins. The drive was extremely boring. When we got to the start of Lake Daniell we got our
gear out of the car and then we had a talk with Ms Kemp. When we started the walk me and Daniel
decided to stay at the back of the line with Glen and Ms Kemp. Glen used to work at DOC so he knows
a lot about the bush. He taught me and Dan about the Beech forest there and about where the
long tailed bats live.


About one quarter of the way through the walk Glen told me to try pepper wood. So I did.
I crunched it up into a ball and ate it. In the olden days it was used to numb peoples mouths. It was
so spicy. You are not supposed to swallow pepper wood but I accidentally did!  On our first stop Ms
Kemp put me and Dan at the front of the group with Erin. Erin is a very fast walker but so are we.


When we got to the hut we walked out on the jetty and looked in the water we didn’t see any fish (sadly).
Then we sat down and had lunch. I had a huge bacon and egg pie for lunch. It was delicious! Then we
packed up and walked back. On the way back I collected pepper wood for my car group to try. When
we got to the end I tried to get my car group to try the pepper wood but they all knew what it was. Then
we packed up and drove home. We got home at 6:00 pm.

I loved that walk and can’t wait to go again!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like the boring drive was all worth it in the end Charlie. Cool day tramp, really enjoyed reading this. Your story writing is really great and makes me feel like I'm there with you. Mum

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.