Friday 11 September 2020

Lake Daniell

 




Lake Daniell



On the 9th of september room 8 went to Lake Daniell in the Lewis Pass for a spring tramp and a William Pike challenge. The day before the tramp our class discussed what hypothermia is and what leave no trace is. We read stories about people getting lost and dying in the beech forest at Lake Daniell. In the beech forest it was very easy to get lost because everywhere looked the same.



The day before the tramp I prepared all of my gear. In the morning I packed all of my gear and then went to school. When I got to school Ms Kemp checked that I had a rain jacket. I was in the car with Ms Kemp, Jack, Ethan and Xavier. We then traveled to Lake Daniell. We had a stop in Reefton to stretch our legs. Then we were back on the road. After that we put a cd in the radio and listened to some rock music, it was very loud and rad. It wasn’t a very good drive from there because there were so many hills and it made me feel weird.



When we got to the start of the Lake Daniell walk we got all our gear on and started the walk. On the walk I kept a look out for rotten trees that Long Tailed Bats nest in. Ms Kemp said that the trees have markers on them that aren’t orange or white. I found two rotten trees that had holes in them with sticks and mud on the bottom of the nest, those trees had blue markers on them. 



When we got to Kohanga Atawhai (Manson Nicholls Hut) we sat down and ate our lunch. I had noodles in a thermos and some other stuff with that. We then packed up and signed the visitors book and then left. On the walk out I nearly fell off a cliff because Bamton pushed me.



When we got back to the start me and Nathan found a rope swing and swung on it. Sadly Nathan told everyone and then there were lines for it. Me, Nathan and Tyler tried to swing and land in the creek. I got 10cm away from it and Tyler landed on the dirt in front of it and lost his footing and sprained his ankle and went to hospital the day after for an x-ray. We decided to leave after that.



Then we sat down and thanked all the adults and everyone who helped with the tramp. After that we got into cars and drove back to Greymouth.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.